Thursday, May 05, 2011

‘I love Whitstable’ linocut, (work-in-progress)

The image flipped, tracing the oyster 'heart' onto the battleship grey lino
Now everything’s drawn to size for transferring to the battleship grey lino, I flip the tracing paper and pencil over the image. I have used brown lino in the past but you can’t beat battleship grey for seeing pencil lines.

Carving the fiddly Tabasco lettering
But to get a really representative line, I use a bold permanent pen to draw in the line (as shown) so that I have  a truer version of what is possible when it is cut. In other words, there’s no point in drawing a fine line when the smallest cutting blade won’t be able to cope with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Illustration for upcoming 'Lake District Map'

Hand-drawn in brush pen with digital colour.  © Peter Gander